- 1 30 oz bag of frozen diced hash browns (wasn’t quite enough, so I added a couple extra handfuls.)
- 1 32 oz box of chicken broth
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup (10 oz)
- 1 pkg. cream cheese (8 oz, not fat free)
- 3 oz bacon bits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- (1 cup of green onions)*
- Put the potatoes in the crockpot. Add in the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and half of the bacon bits.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- An hour before serving, cut the cream cheese into small cubes. Place the cubes in the crock pot. Mix a few times throughout the hour before serving.
- Once the cream cheese is completely mixed in (this is where I added in my green onions)*, it’s ready to serve.
- Top with cheddar cheese and some additional bacon bits.
*This is my own alterations
I have always loved potato soup but, having an easy recipe to cook it in the Crock Pot, makes it even better. I saw this recipe on Facebook and wanted to give it a try, so I thought I would share it with you.
I have to say it was the best potato soup I have ever had. And it was so easy, especially for being a dad who works from home. For once, I wanted to be able to fix my family dinner. And this only took minutes to put together, in the morning, and was ready to eat for supper when I got off work.
I would make some alterations though. For one I didn’t think that 30oz was quite enough hash browns so we added a little bit more (we like ours a little bit thicker). I also had some green onions lying around and thought I would add about a cup to add some color and flavor. Also I am thinking about dicing up some celery for it next time. Perhaps even swapping out the cream of chicken soup for a cream of celery.
If any of you try this out or make your own alterations, please let us know in the comments. I’m excited to see what others think!